What is the Google Search Console?
Search Console is one of Google's free tools for managing SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for a website. It is a web service which allows website owners to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their websites.
It is a free service that helps you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site's presence in Google Search results. You don't have to sign up for Search Console to be included in Google Search results, but Search Console helps you understand and improve how Google sees your site.
What do you need to do to get started?
You first need to sign in with your Google id. To use Search Console you will have to enter some basic details about your website and then verify it by entering a code in the store's theme. This code will be generated and provided by the Search Console. Here we will talk about how to relate your store to Search Console. For steps on setting up Google Search Console, refer online after going through this article.
Step 1 : Enter the domain in the Search Console -
- Sign in to the Google Search Console.
- Under the welcome screen you can see - Add Property. You can choose either "Domain" or "URL prefix" field to register. Enter the store URL then click Continue.
- Now you will see 'Recommended' and 'Other' verification methods. Under latter click on 'HTML tag'
- Now a so-called meta tag is displayed that looks something like this: <meta name = "google-site-verification" content = "xXxXxXx" />
- Click copy
- Do not click "Verify" yet.
Enter the code in the store's theme
Open a new tab in your browser and then log in to the store. Go to Store Design-> Themes -> select theme, edit -> Extensions tab -> Google -> Google Search Console.
Paste the code into the Google Search Console field and click save
Verify in Google Search Console
Go back to the Google Search Console tab in your browser, then click the Verify button. You have now verified your domain in the Google Search Console. Great job!